Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Reddit Writing Prompt: The function of every button on earth has been given the function of one somewhere else. Chaos ensues.

With a huff I dropped into my computer chair and faced the white screen. I had been putting off writing the dumb apology email for hours. It wasn’t my fault the corporate copy machine had started printing massive amounts of highly inappropriate images, even if the log sited my machine as the source.

I bet Larry set me up. He’s been out to get me ever since he accused me of stealing his day old macaroni and cheese leftovers. Gag. If I were steal someone’s lunch I’d at least choose something palatable.

I moved the mouse and stared at the blank email, my cursor still blinking in the ‘Message’ field.

I sighed again, rolled my eyes for good measure, and put my fingers on the keyboard.

“To whom it may concern…” I began typing.

As I typed the lights in the room began to flicker, my microwave turned itself on, my phone rang, stopped, and rang again.

I sprang out of my chair and scrambled to the microwave, managing the pull the door open before it could start a fire.

Weird. I wondered if there was an electrical storm or something. I didn’t know much about them but on TV they made strange things happen.

I slumped back in my office chair.

“I would like to formally address …”

My computer froze, as every program on the machine seemed to be trying to open. I watched the wheel of death for a few minutes then moseyed over to the fridge for a coke. Ten minutes later, the computer was unfrozen and I was once again able to type.

“the copier complaint and apologize…”

The fire alarm in my building went off. A minute later the emergency sprinklers started pouring rain.

My computer short circuited and the screen faded to black.

Screw it, the world didn’t want me to write the stupid apology either.

No comments:

Post a Comment